Cambridge Bike Safety cyclists and friends are excited to offer seniors, parents of small children who cannot get out to stores, and other vulnerable residents help picking up store orders by bike from local businesses that support “curbside pick-up” and “contactless” ordering.
For the time being all orders placed must meet these requirements:
- Curbside pick-up: We would like to avoid going into stores and shopping so we can only pick up pre-ordered orders.
- Pre-paid: All orders must be pre-paid. We’ve provided a list below of local stores that allow pre-ordering and pre-paying.
- Not time sensitive: We cannot pick up restaurant orders or meals that are meant to be delivered in a timely fashion.
- Relatively small quantity: Volunteers will be delivering via bike, so when making requests remember that volunteers can only carry a few groceries in a given delivery.
- No alcohol delivery: Volunteers will not be able to deliver alcoholic beverages.
If you need assistance purchasing groceries or supplies, or if you need help finding food, please see the food resources guides for Cambridge or Somerville.
Please share information about our service with those who you think would benefit from it! Feel free to download and distribute our flyer (see below).
Are you a senior or other vulnerable resident?
To request a delivery please fill out this form. Your request will be made visible to members of our volunteer group, and shortly thereafter you should receive a message from a volunteer who will coordinate the delivery directly with you. Once the request has been completed we may reach out to ask for your feedback on the service.
For instructions on ordering from participating stores see below.
Are you interested in volunteering to deliver groceries/other essential items by bike?
To sign up please fill out this form. Once you’ve signed up we will add your name to our email list and share with you a spreadsheet of requests. You can then assign requests to yourself by putting your name in the ‘Assigned’ column, at which point you will be responsible for reaching out to the resident who requested to coordinate the delivery. Once you’ve completed the delivery we would appreciate if you’d fill out the ‘Completed date’ column in the spreadsheet to let us know you’ve completed the delivery
In an effort to make this delivery as safe and contactless as possible, all volunteers must meet the following criteria:
- Have not traveled out of the country in the last 14 days
- Are not exhibiting any signs of compromised health (e.g. runny nose, cough, fever, etc.)
- Have not come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- Have been practicing “social distancing” — staying indoors, avoiding crowds, staying 6 feet away from other people if they have gone outside
- Will wear gloves during deliveries
- Be 18 or over
How do I pre-order from local stores?
Local Cambridge and Somerville grocery stores currently offering such “contactless” ordering and payment and “curbside” pick-up” are listed below. (If you would like to have your business added to this list, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Cardullo’s: Harvard Square
Orders may be placed over the phone at 617-326-8655 or online. Note that we are only able to deliver grocery items and not meals.
Cambridge/Huron Village and Kendall Sq. shops: https://www.formaggiokitchen.com
Cambridge/Huron Village location: Place an order for pickup using their online form (preferred), or call 617-354-4750.
Kendall Square location: call and pay at 617-714-5758.
Note we are only delivering groceries from Grendel’s Den and not ready-to-eat meals. To enroll in their grocery service please email
Inman Square Hardware
Call (617) 491-3405 to order
During the COVID-19 social distancing and self-isolation period, our storefront will be open for pick-up Friday and Saturday 12-5.
Please email your order on Thursday so we can have your order prepared and ready for pick-up.
Pemberton Farms Marketplace
Email your orders to Denna at email@example.com.
Subject line: Pick Up Order for (requested date) (We cannot guarantee the date you request, but will do our best to fulfill it in a timely manner.)
1. Your contact info:
• Full Name
• Phone number
2. Please Indicate Your Quickest Method of Contact for Delivery Coordination: (phone call, text, or email)
3. Shopping List, by category (Please note if substitutions are ok. I don’t mind details. They are very helpful. If so, please state allergies/things to avoid.)
• Specialty Cheese
• House Care
• Personal Care
• Dry Goods
• Canned Goods
• Beverages: Soda/Water/Coffee
4. Please Indicate Preferred Method of Handoff: Curbside at store
6. Notes: Anything else you’d like us to know?
When your order is complete, we will contact you to let you know your order is in queue for delivery or that it is ready to be picked up.
We do our very best to accommodate as many orders as possible every day. We wish we had the resources to process every order, every day. Please be prepared to allow at least 24 hours for your order to confirmed, and at least another 24 to 48 hours to be fulfilled.
After you place your first order I will call you for a credit card number along with the expiration and the CVV.
From main Ace Hardware website, select Tags Hardware, White Street, as your local store, order and check-out/pay online, selecting curb pickup.
Dave’s Fresh Pasta
Call in your order at 617-623-0867 with a credit card number (no AMEX), and a cell phone number. Let them know that someone else will pick up for you. We will then just call them from sidewalk outside store to bring it out.
All kinds of grocery “packs”. It looks as though you might be eligible for 20% off, if you (ie, we!) pick up.
Forge Baking Company
Open for baked goods as well as all sorts of groceries. Place your order here: https://www.toasttab.com/forge-baking-co/v3#!/
McKinnon’s Meat Market (and groceries)
Phone in and pay for your order at 617-666-0888, and let them know we will come by for curbside pickup.
Online ordering available 10am-6pm Wednesday through Saturday. There is currently a 48-hour turnaround time on all orders.
Somerville Winter Farmers Market
Pre-order from one of their many vendors over the phone or by email! You can find details on available vendors using the link above. All orders will be ready for pickup on Saturdays at the Armory.
When Pigs Fly (Bread and bakery)
Phone in your order and payment at (617) 776-0021 and let them know we will call when we are outside to pick up your order for you.